December 14, 2016

Final Fantasy XV

Date played: December 13th
Platform: PS4

Things are starting to open up quite a bit more now...

I met with Cor at the tomb of the wise to better understand what's happening. I gotta be honest, there's many details of the story that escape me. Like, most of the time, I don't really know what's happening with the story, but it's still pretty enjoyable. The combat and exploration is so good that I don't mind the occasional confusion.

The tomb of the wise was my first real dungeon. It isn't part of the open world, instead, it is it's own enclosed area. I explored it all and found some interesting treasures, including a couple of "machinery" weapons. I definitely don't understand how to use these weapons just yet... I need to try them out again. At the end of the dungeon, I fought a giant spider thing, the first real boss in the game. It wasn't very difficult, but it was fun! My efforts were rewarded with my first "Royal Arm". These are extremely powerful weapons, but they drain HP when used.

The next mission had our little team assaulting an imperial blockade. I was split from the group for a short time, teaming up with Cor to attack one side of the blockade while my friends attacked the other side. We then joined up to fight a big boss! An imperial military leader hopped into a giant armored cuirass and attacked us.

This fight was easily the most interesting in the game so far. The area around the boss had platforms where a bunch of snipers were set up. On the ground, powerful foot soldiers protect the cuirass. I first took out the snipers by warping to them, then took out the ground troops, leaving only the boss. This guy hit real hard, so when I missed my dodges, I had to find cover. I even used a potion during this battle. It was fucking awesome!

After the boss, I began chapter 3. The world is a lot more open and I can now manually drive the Regalia anywhere. Apparently, the Empire is out to find us, and they've sent out Magitek armor to do it. So now, at random times, a large floating transport sends out a bunch of enemies for us to fight.
Driving the Regalia is a fun way to explore
I've taken advantage of my new found liberty by completing a bunch of hunts and side quests. I found more dog tags, I've hunted various monsters and I've explored the new areas a little bit. I also spent a few minutes fishing for a side quest, but forgot to turn it in when I caught my prize... I even fought my first Flan, a gelatinous monster that is vulnerable to magic and resistant to all weapons. While it wasn't too hard to beat, it was quite spectacular and it was lots of fun!

I really enjoy using magic in this game. It feels like it's powerful, and should be used sparingly, but when it's needed, it works really well. It's also pretty interesting that I can affect the type of magic I can wield by adding items to the crafting process. I'm also enjoying the upgrade tree. It's pretty flexible and has a lot of powerful stuff in there.

Speaking of upgrades, rather than advancing the main quest, I went back to Hammerhead to see Cid and Cindy. Cid was able to upgrade my first sword so that it's worth equipping again. As for Cindy, well she sent me to complete a few side missions, The missions were pretty simple, but they rewarded me for upgrades for the Regalia. I have new paint, new decals and even a special wax. The wax increases the car's speed! There's just so much cool stuff to do in this game, I love it!