October 18, 2016

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Date played: October 17th
Platform: PS3

I finished Castle of Illusion!

While waiting for dinner to be ready, my daughter asked me to continue playing Castle of Illusion, so I did. It turns out, we only had one level left and two bosses, so we ended up finishing the game. The last level was a challenging swim through the castle's depths. It wasn't too hard, but I had to be vigilant, the jump timing is pretty tight. The boss was pretty average. He's a dumb-looking dude that swings a hammer around. I had to lead him to hit some large bells while he spun to knock him down and hit him on the head.
Mizrabel was fun to fight

With all 7 of the rainbow gems in hand, Mickey was ready to confront Mizrabel and save Minnie Mouse. Minnie is held at the top of a tower, so Mickey must climb it while avoiding Mizrabel and her magic broomstick. This was a very short level, but it was very difficult. The game threw everything it had at me, including falling platforms, swinging ropes and Mizrabel slinging magic spells. After a couple of failed attempts, I made it to the top.

With Minnie now in sight, Mickey fought Mizrabel head on. The evil witch changed forms and revealed her true power. She has a lot of health, and the boss battle was easily the longest, most difficult encounter in the game. The fight is a pretty standard boss battle, but it was quite varied, with Mizrabel throwing a different type of attack after each time I hit her. To add to the danger, the floor tiles were falling out at a regular pace, making it even more difficult to stay alive.

It took me at least 6 or 7 attempts before I beat her, but my daughter's encouraging words helped keep me motivated. I beat the witch, rescued Minnie and went back home safely. This was a fun little game!