October 6, 2016

Forza Horizon 3

Date played: October 5th
Platform: Xbox One

Well, I spent a lot of time in Horizon 3 yesterday, but I didn't actually drive very much. A good chunk of time was spent buying, tuning and customizing a 2016 Fiat 695 Biposto. It's basically a Fiat 500 body with the innards of a race car. The thing is, I drive a 500 in real life, so of course, I had to get one in the game.

It doesn't drive like my car at all! Not only is the Biposto version much more powerful than the stock 500, I've also fully modified it. In fact, I turned it into a little rally car. I gave it an AWD drivetrain, a boosted turbo rally engine, a heightened suspension, some rally tires and various transmission upgrades. It turned the little hatchback into a fucking monster! It launches faster than anything else I've driven so far, it drifts easily and efficiently and it's surprisingly agile. The only problem is it's top speed that is on the low end, making it difficult to use on tracks with high-speed sections.
Fiat 695 Biposto
After fucking around with my new car and taking tons of nice pictures, I headed for the Showcase event. As expected, I raced against some speed boats! It was completely ridiculous and completely impossible, but boy, it was a good show. I was put in the seat of a racing truck and raced against 5 or 6 speed boats. It was dumb, it was fun and it looked great. Shit, the boats even jumped over my car at one point!

Next, I had enough fans to expand a festival site, so I chose the Outback. I completed a few races there, including a really fun one in my Fiat, and another in the Ariel Nomad. One of the best things about Horizon 3 compared to Horizon 2 is the track design. There's a lot more variety in the tracks, and that makes a huge difference for me. This was evident in the Outback events.

Finally, I tried my hand at a new event type, a street race. However, I didn't do that well. I tried my best, and I couldn't get better than 2nd place. The car ahead was so fucking far, it was insane. After some research on the internet, it became apparent that I'm not the only one with this problem. People are saying that for those events, you might as well lower the difficulty because they are far more difficult than the regular events. They also suggest using slower cars to have a better margin of error. I'm thinking I'll come back with a muscle car or a fast AWD car and see if that makes a difference.