October 17, 2016

Playroom VR

Date played: October 16th
Platform: PSVR

My daughter was really impressed with Playroom VR, particularly the cat and mouse game. She asked me to play it again, so I rounded up my girlfriend and we went to play for a little while. I kind of feel bad for letting my 6 year old play this, considering there are warnings everywhere that it should be played only by people 12 years or older, but we're playing in short spurts, so I'm hoping it's ok...

She LOVES being the cat, poking her head out of the curtain to catch us. There's a cool little feature too where the headset's microphone picks up audio from the person wearing it, then spits it out with a cat voice filter. It makes for some really funny shit. I got into character and meowed like an alley cat in heat!
Cat and Mouse is my daughter's favorite VR experience
After a few minutes of this, we decided to try another game in Playroom VR. Wanted is a weird little game where the VR player embodies a robotic sheriff who must shoot bad guys inside a saloon. The kicker is that only the TV players can see the image of the bad guy. They must describe the bad guy to the VR player, who then looks at the characters on screen to find the person who matches the description.

It's deceptively fun... My daughter and girlfriend were screaming descriptions at me as I scrambled to find the right guy. It's surprisingly fun! The choice of words used to describe the bad guys is really important. For example, you can't just say "He's got a hat!", you need to say "He's got a BLUE hat!". We then switched positions, with my daughter donning the sheriff's star. I was worried that she would struggle to understand our descriptions, or fumble with the controller's aim, but she was fucking perfect and scored 10/10! It was a lot of fun to play this, I am pleasantly surprised.

Finally, we decided to check out another portion of the game, a little crane game, like in the arcades. Using coins that we won for playing through the other games, we used the crane to pick up little toy capsules. These are then displayed in an adorable virtual room. It's really cool in VR because you get to move around and look at the objects in detail. There's tons of funny stuff too, like a miniature gym, haunted house, arcade, park and the saloon from the other game. The best part is a little race track that runs around the room and has two robots riding Wipeout craft. Fuck, I miss Wipeout.