October 23, 2016

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare beta

Date played: October 23rd
Platform: PS4

I have a long history with Call of Duty. Call of Duty 2 was one of the first games I played online on my then spanking new Xbox 360. I played as the Polish and Canadians in Call of Duty 3. I jumped into the revolutionary Call of Duty 4 and it's many innovations in the shooter genre. I burned and stabbed some dudes in Call of Duty World at War. I explored the insanity of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3. I used the crazy gadgets of Call of Duty Black Ops. I deflowered my PS4 of it's shooter cherry with Call of Duty Ghosts. Finally, a couple of years ago, I learned to wall ride and side dash with Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.

There's a few games I've skipped, most notably last year's Black Ops 3. In part, it's because I got fatigued with the series, having spent hundreds of hours with these games over the years. It was also largely due to Rocket League monopolizing my gaming time.
Infinite Warfare looks like a damn good Call of Duty game
Infinite Warfare, this year's Call of Duty game, has a beta going on right now, so I figured I would give it a shot. The game looks good and feels good, as usual. It's definitely more "future" than any other game in the series, with one of the beta maps even taking place on a space station. There's tons of high tech toys, and a nice little jetpack that acts as a big jump.

I played a few matches, maybe 3 or 4, and I enjoyed myself. There's a new thing that kind of resembles Ultimate attacks in Overwatch. I chose the Merc, which arms me with a powerful gatling laser for a short period of time. I equipped some cryo-mines, which slow down enemies, and picked the biggest LMG I could find.

I felt right at home withing a few minutes. This is Call of Duty. It feels like Call of Duty, and it plays like Call of Duty. In many ways, that's great, since they are definitely quality games. However, it doesn't really do anything amazing that I haven't seen before, so I will stick with Overwatch.