June 22, 2012

Wipeout 2048

My ship of choice for the moment
Date played: June 21st
Platform: Vita
Time played: 40 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

Ok, I love this game. I know I'm a huge sucker for Wipeout games but I was very impressed with what I played. The interface is great and looks amazing on the high resolution display, it even reacts to back touch. I played through a few races and events. It's pretty cool that since this is a prequel, the tracks are not as crazy and high tech as in the other games. There are even sections on normal roads or simply on the ground. It makes the game feel more grounded. It also makes the tracks a bit more cluttered but after a few runs on each track, I was starting to know them already.

There are more alternate routes and shortcuts than ever before, which makes things interesting. When I first started playing, I was freaking out because the default control scheme doesn't have a left and right air brake, it's just one button for both which horrified me. Thankfully, there is an option to separate the air brakes. I unlocked a few ships which now have multiple versions for each team. For example, there are three Feisar ships; speed, agility and combat I think. There are only a few ships unlocked in my game so far and I've been favoring the Feisar speed for the moment. I can't wait to play more!