June 18, 2012

Sonic Generations

Date played: June 18th
Platform: PC
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've been looking at this game for a while, having enjoyed the demo and having not played a Sonic game proper since Sonic Adventure. Sonic Generations feels good, plays well for the most part and looks great, especially on PC.

Chemical Plant is better here than in Sonic 2
I played the first four levels, each having two acts, one for old Sonic and one for new Sonic. I also killed a boss. There are also some challenges to play to unlock the bosses and the next set of levels. The challenges are all sorts of different types, races, 1-ring runs, a weird Tails flying level, etc. It's refreshing and I don't need to complete all of them to progress which is cool. It also changes the whole level to add difficulty by adding falling blocks and more enemies to them. I like this game so far but it's kind of like video game fast food. No substance, all flash, still fun. I should also mention that I skipped the story cut-scenes after watching two of them. They are pretty fucking horrible.