June 18, 2012

Diablo 3

Date played: June 18th
Platform: PC
Time played: 50 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I'm not feeling it with this game. I loved my first run through but I don't want to just go through the other difficulty levels, grinding my way to better loot. I mean, I get it, it's a great mechanic and all but I have other games I want to play and playing this one over and over again is not something I am prepared to do.

Do I smell an expansion pack?
My friend wanted to play though so I went in there, smashed some skulls in Nightmare mode in Act 1. He has a level 38 Monk and my Barbarian is now level 32. He also sports a shiny new helmet. After killing a few undead and completing a quest, my friend asked me if I had been to Whimsyshire? I had not, so he took me there.

Boy, this has to be one of the coolest levels in a video game ever. There are pink teddy bears, unicorns, rainbows, presents, smiling clouds, lots of flowers and even a mini-map that looks like a child drew it in crayon. It's one of the most creative, interesting ideas I've seen in a while. It's a stark contrast to the grim, depressing state of the world of Diablo. Did I mention that we get to decapitate and butcher all these cute things? Plus, there's gallons of unicorn blood on the ground after a fight. That HAS to count for something right?