April 16, 2012

Syndicate

Date played: April 15th
Platform: PS3
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through the first three levels of Syndicate. It's still a little bit in tutorial mode but the game is slowly setting in. I finally got access to some new guns like a sniper rifle, a rifle that aims around corners (like the Bullseye gun from Resistance) and a regular ass assault rifle. The game also introduced it's "hook", special hacking abilities that are applied to "chipped" people. The first is suicide, where the target freaks out, pops a pin from a grenade and blow themselves up. The second is backfire, where the target's weapon overheats, knocks him down and makes him more vulnerable to weapon fire.

These abilities are pretty cool and can be pulled off from behind cover when the DART interface is active. They recharge based on skill shots and other cool moves. It's not as important as the Crysis suit abilities or something but it definitely adds a bit of flavor and fun to the combat. The real reason I'm loving this game is combat though. I mean, the combat just feels great and that's something that's hard to appreciate sometimes.
Give me your CHIP!

The missions I played seemed to be all about infiltrating some facility, getting to a guy, putting a scary device in his ears and pulling out the chip using the DART interface. Then I fought my way out of there, fighting regular ass dudes. The enemies are strong and intelligent, making combat fun, if generic. The slow down effect of the DART interface is almost required to win in many cases. I like this game, it's a good, normal sci-fi shooter that plays super well.