April 2, 2012

Syndicate

Date played: April 1st
Platform: PS3
Time played: 35 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10
Badass

I bought Syndicate impulsively this weekend and only had time to play a little bit while my friend was visiting. Syndicate is a first person shooter set in the future where people have computer chips implanted in them, giving them cool abilities like tactical overlays and such. The intro of the game has quite a punch, filled with violence. I was being chased by some dudes in an office environment. I shot, kicked, knocked out and completely abused the enemy soldiers.

This being a Starbreeze game, the shooting feels amazing. Setting, story, music and characters are all irrelevant if the game plays like shit. Thankfully, this is where Syndicate shines so far, with great gun play and fun movement. It just feels right. I should also mention that the graphics are fucking amazing and very atmospheric. It's like Deus Ex Human Revolution without the technical issues, with a hint of Blade Runner. I think I'll enjoy this game quite a bit and it's been a while since I played a first person shooter. I also want to try out the co-op as I had lots of fun with the co-op demo a few weeks ago.