April 15, 2012

Skullgirls

Date played: April 14th
Platform: PS3
Time played: 70 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had downloaded the demo for this game a few days ago but never got a chance to try it until last night. Honestly, I just wasn't expecting much except for good graphics but what I got is a fun, simple to pick up fighting game. Me and my guests started by playing the demo for a few minutes but soon enough, we wanted more characters to play with so I just bought the game.

This is a 2D fighting game with 8 female characters and some tag team mechanics. It reminds me of Marvel VS Capcom with less "impossible to understand mayhem" and  more "Ohhhh shit I beat the shit out of you when I had 5% health left!!!!". The coolest feature so far is that someone can fight someone else using different sized teams. Players can choose a single, very powerful character, two somewhat powerful characters or three regular strength characters. This might sound like a clumsy mess but after over a dozen rounds played, it seems to balance itself out, at least with novice players.

These two sexy ladies fit my play style
I think I found my sweet spot with a two person team, using Parasoul and Valentine, two of the sexier ladies in the game. Parasol is good in close quarters and has some nice launching moves. Valentine is similar but is more about lots of very fast hits and less about juggling. My brother's girlfriend was really good at the game, as she was with Soul Calibur. She doesn't have much technique but she is efficient and very aggressive. She beat me a few times but we were pretty close in the end.

This seems like a great little fighting game. It may have the best 2D animation I've ever seen, it's fun to play, the characters are funky and original and the different sized teams make things interesting. I don't see myself playing this unless I have friends over though.