February 9, 2017

Final Fantasy VI

Setzer and his late wife, Darrell
Date played: February 8th
Platform: Vita

It's been a long time since I've played Final Fantasy VI, so I was quite lost when I decided to boot it up again. Thankfully, I had saved in a spot that made it somewhat obvious what I should do next. Sabin, Edgar and Celes are traveling together after helping Figaro castle regain it's former glory.

We headed north to a small town called Kohlingen and entered the pub. We found Setzer there, drinking his sorrows away. After a bit of convincing, he agreed to rejoin us and help us find all our friends. The old airship, the Blackjack, has been destroyed, but Setzer reveals that he has hidden a second airship at a nearby tomb, Darrell's tomb.

The tomb is a small dungeon, crawling with undead monsters, including the infamous Malboro. There were many treasures to be found too, including some sick new claws for Sabin and some powerful armor. I completed a few simple puzzles too, where I had to change the water level to reach new areas.

At the end of the dungeon, I fought a couple of bosses. The first was a dangerous snail that hides in his shell, but he wasn't too hard. Then I fought the dungeon's final boss, a headless horseman with many powerful magic spells at his disposal. This was definitely a lot harder, some of my party members even died a couple of times. Thankfully, Celes was able to keep everyone healed and alive (or revived...) while Sabin, Edgar and Setzer dealt heavy damage.

After the battle, Setzer explained that this tomb was his wife's. She died in an airship accident years ago. Setzer found the wreck, restored it and stored it in this tomb as a monument to his lover. The airship itself is called the Falcon, and it's beautiful. We now have access to the airship and can travel anywhere in the world of Ruin, so I'm sure there's a ton to discover! I want to find my other party members...