January 4, 2017

Paper Mario Color Splash

Date played: January 3rd
Platform: Wii U

My daughter and I spent a bit of time playing Color Splash yesterday. We began with the boss battle against Morton at the Crimson Tower. Morton is a real dumb motherfucker, but he's a strong bastard too. He wields a wooden hammer and stands on a small pedestal. He also calls in Shy Guys as support. The Shy Guys were easily dismissed. Then I was able to hit the pedestal with a hammer to knock Morton off. He would then take out his hammer and start attacking. After taking a good amount of damage, he eventually put his hammer on fire! Following clues I received earlier, I knew this was the right time to use my fire extinguisher card, which destroyed the hammer and let me defeat Morton for good.
Morton is about to have his fire extinguished!
We were rewarded with our first Big Paint Star, the red one! This also boosted Mario's HP from 50 to 75, so that's nice. The Toads in town were really happy about the paint star... So much, that they made a big dance party to celebrate! Unfortunately, the festivities were short lived. Bowser finally made an appearance, but he looks very different than usual... He's covered in black paint! To add to the horror, he kidnaps Princess Peach (surprise!).

To save her, we must find all the Big Paint Stars. So we moved on to the next level, a very standard one with nothing very special about it. It introduced a new mechanic that allows me to defeat very weak enemies with a hammer whack outside of battle.

Then, we moved to another level where a famous professor is keeping a couple of paint stars in his yard, but I need to talk to him to reach them. He is an archeologist of some sort. He also has a pet Chain Chomp and a huge excavation site looking for fossils. He's apparently gone on a hike in the woods, but no one's seen him in a while, so I have to go looking for him now.