January 10, 2017

Final Fantasy XV

Date played: January 9th
Platform: PS4

More side quests! More weapons and weapon upgrades!

I stubbornly refuse to continue the story as I complete a myriad of side quests, gather weapons, explore and fight. I began with a quest for Dino to find a special gem, which led me to an area West of the Vesperpool. After fighting a few monsters, I found the gem on the ground, but I didn't return to Dino right away.

The gem was sitting in the early parts of a dungeon I had never seen before named The Myrlwood. It's probably the smallest dungeon yet, since it's mostly just a big forest with few paths. I picked up a couple of items, but was soon interrupted by the dungeon's boss, a Treant. This monster is a demonic tree of some sort that guards the forest. It was a really cool fight, but it was pretty easy for a boss fight. My reward was a brand new Royal Arm!
We battle against the Treant
When I rested at camp after the dungeon, I agreed to help Ignis cook breakfast the next morning. Unfortunately, his glasses were stolen by a black chocobo during the night! We went out to find the chocobo and retrieve his glasses. This has to be the worst fucking mini-game I've played in a long time... Ignis put down some Gysahl Greens as bait and I had to walk slowly towards a tree where the glasses were left. The trick is that I had to press L1 to "stay silent" when the chocobo turned his head. While this wasn't too difficult on it's own, it was kind of difficult to make out where the bird was looking. It was also excruciatingly slow and fucking boring. Thankfully, I got it on the second try and gave Ignis his vision back!

There was also a pretty nice fishing spot near the dungeon, so I spent a morning fishing, though I didn't catch anything spectacular. I want to bring up my fishing level so that I can try to complete the two fishing quests I still have.

Then, I decided to go back to one of the military bases to find the secret weapon I had missed. It's become obvious now that every base has at least one hidden weapon and so far, it's been machinery. This base was pretty low level, so I cleared it out easily and grabbed the Gravity Well, a weapon that can clump all enemies together.

Finally, I decided to complete another military base, but this one was brand new for me. Formouth Garrison Base. While the normal enemies here were easy, there was a giant boss battle at the end against two big level 50 mechs. They were really fucking tough to beat. At one point, my whole team was dead, and I was struggling to survive. After using a Mega-Phoenix, I put in more effort and finally beat them, but this was a real fucking challenge. Ramuh would have been very welcome...