January 4, 2017

Final Fantasy XV

Date played: January 2nd and 3rd
Platform: PS4

I began with a couple of side quests, but nothing special. I also spent way too much time fishing... I even spent most of my money on an upgraded rod and reel to make things easier! I kind of love fishing in this game, but I wish it was a bit easier to know which lure to use at each fishing spot. Also, there's not that much benefit to it except earning cooking ingredients and gaining AP, but I feel like there has to be some big secret out there that I'm not aware of.
This Cockatrice doesn't want to be in the selfie...
After a bit of fucking around, I decided to move the story forward and met with Iris near Cape Caem. She needs us to find mythril ore so that it can be refined, then used to fix the ship. At the same time, Gladio told us he had to leave the party for a little while to deal with "stuff". As mysterious as that sounds, and as weird as it was, Noctis was cool with it and let him go. Noctis, Prompto and Ignis were on their own to gather the mythril ore.

This led us to the Vesperpool, a large area in the North-West of the map that had been closed off by the Empire until now. The place is basically a big swamp, crawling with weird crocodiles and other nasty creatures. I met with Ardyn Izunia, better known as Chancellor Izunia, a prominent figure in the Empire. He was accompanied by Aranea Highwind, the dragoon lady I fought at a military base a while back. I am not really sure what's happening, but Ardyn seemed quite happy to help us enter the dungeon where the mythril ore is found. Aranea is even willing to come along as the 4th party member!

The dungeon itself, Steyliff Grove, is a dark ruined temple. Oddly, it is set underwater, though the ground is dry... It's a huge maze filled with side doors and labyrinthian hallways. It's also infested with demons, skeletons mostly. I equipped my demon slaying weapons and explored the whole thing. There were a few difficult battles here, including a couple of Iron Giants and some Liches.

At the end of the dungeon, I faced none other than Quetzalcoatl itself! The mythical creature has made appearances in a few Final Fantasy games. The giant bird wields lightning as it's weapon and is very fast. It took a lot of effort, but I put it down. Aranea was a big help, since her tech deals huge amounts of damage. We picked up the ore after the battle and left the dungeon.

We weren't done with the mythril though. We learned from Cindy that we need to refine it for it to be any good, so we went to the power plant in Lestallum to seek their help. They agreed to help, but the plant was overrun by demons, so I had to go in and clear it out. Weirdly enough, I met Gladio inside, who was already fighting demons... We cleared out the place and Gladio rejoined our party. Yay!

Now it seems that the team is ready to set sail... so before I go, I'm gonna do a shit ton of side missions! I did a few already, but I've been doing hunts more than anything. My favorite sent me to fight some Cockatrices, the giant chickens. I'm probably going to focus on side quests, chocobo racing and hunts for the next little while.