January 14, 2017

Heroes, Rocket Cars and Sharks

Date played: January 13th
Platform: PS4 + PSVR

One of my friends came over last night and she loves video games, but she hasn't been playing as much in the last few years. I decided I should show her Overwatch, Rocket League and the VR game, Ocean Descent. Overwatch was confusing at first, since she is used to Call of Duty. When she started understanding that the heroes each had different abilities, movement and weapons, she started to get it.

We played a good amount of Overwatch together, swapping the controller at every death. She tried a good number of heroes too. She tried Genji, Junkrat, Reaper, Mercy, Reinhardt, Bastion, Tracer, Sombra, Ana and Pharah. She had her best moments with Mercy, Bastion and Junkrat. Mercy was cool because she just had to focus on staying out of the way and healing. Bastion was cool because he's just a big gun, so her Call of Duty experience helped here. Junkrat was the one that surprised me the most. While she struggled with the trap and mine, she was a real good shot with the grenades.

Then, we played some Rocket League online. While she enjoyed herself, she had a really hard time hitting the ball and couldn't figure out the flips and kicks. She still tried hard and she was usually in a really good position on the field, but the execution wasn't there. I know she could be a great player with some practice. Also, I had a bright pink and purple van while she had a "tough" looking car, perfectly expressing our personalities through our vehicle choices.
Ocean Descent is cool
Finally, she wanted to try out Playstation VR, so I booted up the Shark Encounter sequence in Ocean Descent. She was very impressed with the scale that VR communicates so well and she enjoyed the little adventure in the shark cage. She was clearly worried about fast movement, I think it made her woozy. It's weird, I love what VR can do, but my body doesn't like it when I play... It seems like it was similar for her because after the sequence, she said she felt a little bit dizzy.