July 11, 2012

Driver San Francisco

Date played: July 11th
Platform: PC
Time played: 35 minutes
Session fun rating: 6/10

I got this game on sale for 7$ on Steam because I enjoyed the demo last year. The game looks great on PC and runs very well. I am playing on my HDTV with surround sound and controller. I'm on a next gen console already! I pretty much just saw story exposition and some tutorials. The story is fucking nuts. Tanner, the hero, is chasing some bad dude from the previous games. He gets in a major accident and ends up in a coma at the hospital. The thing is, he's still conscious and he thinks nothing has changed. The big hook here is that he can change bodies at will at the press of a button. That means I can change cars in the middle of a chase. That could help me force an enemy to crash and stuff.

It's a cool idea, even if the story justification is nuts. The intro had me chase some cars, drive an ambulance to the hospital, navigate a circuit and even test drive a Ford GT. The game handles well, the cars have a different feel and the missions seem varied and interesting. I can't wait to see more of the game, I've barely started it really.