July 23, 2012

Alan Wake American Nightmare

Date played: July 22nd
Platform: PC
Time played: 220 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, I finished American Nightmare. Boy, this game sure takes some crazy twists... I first played through the drive-in theater level which features a hot an bothered slut who wants Alan's dick. She blames it on the darkness later but I don't believe her. :-)

Then, I set up the projection room to be just like the signal received at the observatory. Late at night, fire extinguisher lit up by a lamp and at the end of summer. I just interacted with a couple of objects to do that. To my surprise, after completing the task, I was sent back to the beginning of the game! I then had to play through the three levels two more times before finishing the game. Thankfully, it's a bit different each time and takes less time. The three lady characters seem to remember me and now take steps to help. For example, the scientist already fixed the telescope so I just had to restore cooling. The idea works well but it got a little long in the tooth by the end.

I encountered some pretty cool enemies too. Bird-men, firemen, giant hulking chainsaw wielding men and even fucking spiders. The difficulty ramped up but I was never overwhelmed. I was never killed either for that matter. I did pick up a magnum, a hunting rifle and an automatic shotgun. The magnum was easily my favorite weapon in the game. It's powerful, fires quickly and has lots of ammo. The hunting rifle was my backup. I even used a few flare gun rounds and flash grenades toward the end when a lot of enemies were attacking at once.
Mr. Scratch is an asshole.

The story has a cool conclusion and it was really fun confronting Mr. Scratch throughout. This game was definitely worth my time and I would recommend it to anyone who likes atmospheric games and shooting shit.