July 20, 2012

Alan Wake American Nightmare

Date played: July 20th
Platform: PC
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

The Steam Summer Sale is full of gems this year. American Nightmare was at something like 4$ and I loved the first game so I figured this would be a good buy. I was not wrong. The game starts with Alan being sucked into the world of Night Springs, the creepy TV show that Alan wrote in his early career. There seems to be three different areas in the game, a motel/diner, an observatory and a movie drive-in. I completed the first two sections and am now starting the movie drive-in section.

The game looks amazing and plays great
The game is pure Alan Wake gameplay without as much story. The whole thing seems to be built around battling Alan's weird alter ego, Mr. Scratch. I met a chick with pointy nipples in a garage who helped me follow his trail. Most of the game is either fetching items or fighting Taken. It's simple, but it works. The manuscript pages are also back, but this time, they show up on the map and are used as currency to buy hidden weapons. I've been sticking with the shotgun and the revolver but tried the pistol and the nail gun and they were both pretty cool. Flares are still a ton of fun too.

This is a great little game. I think I'm liking these short games better than the epic 60$ games now. Something that's 4-6 hours but still of good quality and can be finished quickly. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim was my favorite game of last year but not every game needs to be like that.