January 22, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII-2 demo

Date played: January 21st
Platform: PS3
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I kind of liked FFXIII but my hard drive broke when I was playing it and after putting in 40 hours, I didn't feel like starting over. From the demo I've played, XIII-2 seems like it takes what was good about FFXIII and tried to fix what wasn't. That means the combat system is very similar but now there are quick time events, side quests and a the third party member is replaced by a monster.
I love the logo!

The quick time events are fine and fit nicely without feeling forced. The best addition is the monster system though. The monsters you fight can sometimes join the party and be the third party member. They level up like characters and all have one role they can fill like a ravager, commando or healer.

The demo had a lot of random fights, two boss fights and lots of weird Japanese stuff. The story also seems to be complete non sense as usual but it still feels like a good JRPG. It does feel a bit outdated after playing Skyrim for dozens of hours but it was still fun for the short period I played.