January 22, 2012

Civilization V

Date played: January 21st
Platform: PC
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10
Alexander the Great

I don't know what got into me but I was desperate to play some Civ V yesterday. Maybe it's all the XCOM news? Maybe the New Year is a great time to give birth to a civilization? In either case, it ends in sleepless nights and constant power struggles.

I randomized most of the game setup and ended up on a Pangaea playing as Alexander the Great for Greece. I started out with Athens on the northern shore of my starting area. I quickly expanded to a second city, Sparta but took a bit more time to get my third city, Carthage.

On regular difficulty, the AI can be a bitch sometimes. I am now at war with Cesar and Montezuma. Montezuma is a hot blooded idiot with no resources, I can handle him with my hoplite soldiers. Cesar is another story, he usually goes to war well prepared. Thankfully, I am allied with two other powerful nations who will surely help if I am in trouble.