November 17, 2013

PS4 Launch Special!

Date played: November 15th and 16th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I have a PS4!

I've been waiting for this bad boy for a while and so far, I am quite impressed. First, the box itself is really nice. It's small, slick, unobtrusive and quiet. The UI is a huge improvement over the PS3's. While it still uses parts of the XMB, it is a lot easier to use. I'm kind of bummed that I can't change the background image any more, nor can I sort the games at all, though this is the kind of stuff that will probably be added later. Oh yeah, and the fucking thing doesn't play 3D Blurays, really disappointing, though they say it will be added "soon". I checked out some live streams from other players and it's pretty cool, but sometimes the quality is really shitty, it seems to depend on the person. It's a good way to sell games though, it got me interested in Need for Speed and Lego Marvel.

Sexy
The games is where it's at though. I tried Resogun, Contrast, Call of Duty Ghosts, Flower and Warframe. Contrast has an interesting concept, but it plays like shit and doesn't look all that great. You control a little girl's imaginary friend (I think?). The girl's mother is a cabaret singer and her father is a deadbeat scammer. The game is set in the 20's or 30's and has a bit of a noire vibe to it.  The mechanics revolve around platforming through shadows, as the heroine can "shift" into the shadows. It's pretty cool, but I wish the controls would be tighter.

Flower is a straight port from the PS3 which I got for free as I already bought it for that console. The graphics are improved to 1080p and 60 FPS and I must say, it looks absolutely amazing.

Warframe is the game that surprised me the most. It's a third person, online co-op shooter, that is free to play. It's smooth, controls well and has good level design that keeps the group together. I played through the first level with three other people and feel like I've performed well. I revived some guys, shot tons of enemies and even used a sword a few times. I wasn't expecting much since few free to play games have before, but this seems like it could be interesting.

Resogun is one hell of a game. There are few games that have the potential for that elusive "zen" feeling. I've felt it in Super Stardust, Geometry Wars and Everyday Shooter, as well as a few racing games like PGR 3, but it's rare. Resogun has it. This is a horizontal shooter set on the outside of a cylinder. Think Super Stardust but horizontal only. The game is intense, difficult and very impressive visually. The voxel tech they are using clusters the screen with thousands of exploding particles, all running in 1080p at 60 FPS at all times.

Call of Duty Ghosts is my only full retail game for PS4. I'm sure Battlefield and Killzone are more impressive visually, but I know I love CoD, hell, I've been playing this series every year since Call of Duty 2. I jumped right into multiplayer and while it took me a few rounds to get adjusted to the new controller, it wasn't long before I managed to take first place on the scoreboards. I unlocked an LMG that fits my style, the Ameli. It has a low rate of fire, high damage and good range. I also had to purchase the red dot sight to compensate for it's awful default sights. There are new perks, kill streaks and weapons, but I haven't dug very deeply yet.

I then tried a new mode in split screen with a friend. It's basically zombies but with aliens instead. We played three rounds but were not very successful overall. I finally jumped into the campaign and while people have been bitching that it doesn't look that great visually, I have to admit I was really impressed with the quality of the textures and lighting. The USA are under attack from a federation composed of most South American countries. My guy sets off with his brother to join an enigmatic team of fighters known as Ghosts. It's all very standard, Call of Duty style fighting. The coolest segment was a short mission in space, complete with spacesuit and space station. It looked fucking amazing and was pretty fun. I also got to control Riley, a German Shepard that fights alongside the two brothers. It can sneak up on enemies and gnaw on their jaw to death. I look forward to playing more and am definitely impressed.

Finally, I tried out remote play with the Vita. It doesn't have any lag, controls great and feels completely natural, though the framerate definitely took a hit, probably to compensate for lag. I'm super happy with my purchase and can't wait to play more!