November 25, 2013

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: November 24th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Even though I've played Assassin's Creed 3 and Liberation this year, I'm back on board for the pirate themed Black Flag. Sailing ships was the best part of AC3, so the latest entry in the series has me very excited. It stars Edward Kenway, a Welsh man who became a privateer, then a pirate in search for fame and fortune. He's kind of a dick, which makes him a pretty interesting character so far, definitely more interesting than Connor ever was.

The game starts with Edward, a crew member on a pirate ship, when they get attacked by another ship. There is an assassin who kills my captain when suddenly, I was thrown overboard by the storm. The ship is a wreck and I ended up stranded on the beach with the assassin in question. I chased him around the beautiful lush jungle and when I caught him and killed him, I found a mysterious letter that promises riches if I bring the letter back to Havana. While trying to find a way off the island, I rescued a sugar merchant named Stede Bonnet who rewarded Edward's ruthless killing of his captors with a ride to Havana on his ship.
Edward Kenway
I was then pulled out of the Animus, which revealed that I am playing a tester for Abstergo Entertainment, a division of Abstergo that makes video games, movies, novels and more. The location is super cool and feels like a high tech business office. I explored it a bit, now in first person view, and heard some interesting conversations before going back in the Animus to test some more.

That's when the game really started. I was able to explore Havana as I have in countless AC games, climbing view points, getting chests, doing a few assassination contracts and getting into trouble with local guards, you know, killing them in cold blood and stuff. There are two new things to collect so far, some Animus fragments that don't seem to have a purpose and songs, that seem to indicate my crew can eventually sing them...

The game plays really well, but honestly, it doesn't look all that much better than AC3 on Wii U did. I'm already falling in love with the setting and characters. I can't wait to play more of it.