May 28, 2012

Syndicate

Date played: May 27th
Platform: PS3
Time played: 150 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Syndicate's single player mode last night. While the story was a bit dumb and hard to follow, this was some of the best first person shooting action I've played in a long time. The last shooter with shooting mechanics that felt this good to me was Crysis 2. I fought a few bosses including one that was quite different from the rest. It felt more like a Ratchet and Clank or a boss from the 3D Mario games. Basically, I had to hack a guy's missiles in mid air until I hit him with them often enough. At first it was easy but it didn't take long before he was shooting five fast missiles at once and was even dropping EMP grenades. I had to use the DART overlay and sprinting to get passed it, it was quite a challenge while still being fun.

The last boss had a section where two high powered agents are after me and they can revive each other. It took me a while to realize this so they kept reviving each other. It wasn't until I understood this that I was able to kill them. The last boss was a fairly standard fight but the stakes were higher. The last boss is fast, tough and hits very hard but since he's a traditional fight, I didn't have much trouble.
Syndicate is a great, underrated shooter.

I used two new weapons also, a flamethrower (AWESOME) and a sort of laser weapon. While the laser weapon is very strong, it has a slow firing rate and doesn't have much ammo. I went through two big areas, Downzone in New York City and The Spire. The Downzone was more interesting because it's in the gritty, dark streets of the city where people run around without chips. This also meant that I couldn't use advanced powers on them. The last area was more boring and was filled with kill rooms basically. The conclusion of the story is pretty cool too.

The game was short but didn't outstay it's welcome. It's a very impressive game from both a technical and from a mechanics perspective. I was also excited to try co-op but I wasn't able to find a game at all and no one joined mine for 10 minutes. Too bad, it looked fun...