May 16, 2012

Diablo 3

Date played: May 15th
Platform: PC
Time played: 160 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

I haven't been hyped for a game on PC for a long time now, I think the last one must have been Civ V, but Diablo 3's hype got to me. Everyone at work was talking about it, all my friends were talking about it and of course, the Internet is ablaze with comments, criticism and glee. I was not disappointed. In a way, Diablo 3 feels old. I mean, it plays a lot like the first game which came out way back in 1996. But see, that's not such a bad thing since the concept still works 16 years later. It also may not seem like it to younger or jaded players, but they really did a lot to bring this game into the modern era of gaming.

My young barbarian
The quests are like WoW, exclamation point and journal included. The party system is super easy, no need for stupid server browsers. The tutorials are helpful. The interface is clean and simple. Simply put, the game may feel old to some but it is modern, no doubt.

I played with a friend from work who had played the beta. We started our characters together and played co-op the whole time. He plays a witch doctor, a sort of ranged voodoo chick who summons creatures from the dead and spits poison from a little wooden tube. I chose the barbarian, to fuck shit up in close quarters with giant weapons. We made it to the Skeleton King and killed him which was the end of the beta.