May 7, 2012

N64 emulation test run

Date played: May 6th
Platform: PC
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

I decided to try some N64 emulators to test it out and just see how it plays on PC. The first real problem is the controller. I use an Xbox 360 wired controller on my PC and the N64 has more buttons. I ended up mapping the C buttons to the second joystick which seems to work well in most games but not all of them. Extreme G is still kind of fun but feels slow. Re-Volt is clearly a bad port full of fog, it plays better on Dreamcast. Smash Bros is still cool.

I tried a bunch of games, most of them only for 5 minutes or less. Perfect Dark was unplayable because of the controls but I didn't spend time customizing. Beast Wars is one of the shittiest fighting games I've ever touched. Snowboard Kids 2 simply doesn't hold up anymore, it sucks. The two games that kept my attention a bit longer were F-Zero X and Robotron 64. F Zero X is a good game, that's for sure. I only played one race but it was clearly well made, is still fun and ran flawlessly. Robotron 64 is less impressive. It was a twin stick shooter without two analog sticks back in the N64 days. Because I had mapped the C buttons to the right stick, it actually played like a real twin stick shooter. It was pretty fun and fast paced, I played that one for a good 15 minutes straight.
F-Zero is WAY overdue for a new game... 3DS? Wii U?

The best part about this emulation stuff is that I can add anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. This may sound minor, but it makes the graphics look MUCH cleaner than on the real thing. It caused a few weird graphical issues with Beast Wars and Perfect Dark but overall, it makes playing these games less painful. Maybe I'll play some hard to find games like Mischief Makers and such.