April 8, 2017

Tropico 5

Date played: April 7th
Platform: PS4

Well, I tried out sandbox mode again and did much better than last time. I nailed the shit out of the Colonial era. I relied on pig farms early on to generate some cash and didn't neglect my military. I had tons of guard towers all around. I extended my mandate with the King as much as possible by completing his quests and picking the extension rewards whenever I could. This led to a very healthy colony and the cash was rolling in.

I should mention, I've changed the game's settings to make it a bit easier, particularly the disaster frequency. It really helped a lot. I was prepared to move on to the World Wars era. I had read up online on good strategies, and industries were by far the best thing for this era. I invested in sugar farms and a rhum distillery. I also explored more of the island to find some mines so that I could set up a steel mill, which is a huge moneymaker.
I love my little town, let's just hope it doesn't crumble....
I invested a lot into education, with a high school and a couple of colleges. I set up some residential areas, expanded my military and put in some clinics and churches. I established positive relations with the Axis and built an extra dock. Eventually, the Allies invaded the island due to my support for the Axis and it's Nazis. Thankfully, I had an army base by that time. My guard towers, soldiers and tanks struggled to win the fight, but they eventually won.

It's time to move on to the cold war era, but I'm not really sure how to approach it yet. The biggest change is that tourism is now an option, so I'm thinking of making a tourist area near the beach, but I'll look up strategies before it's too late.