April 11, 2017

Tropico 5

I've reached the Cold War era
Date played: April 8th and 9th
Platform: PS4

I've reached the Cold War era! There's a lot of big changes here... There's a bunch of new buildings that effectively render some of the older ones obsolete. The cathedral, hospital, supermarket, TV station and new entertainment buildings are big upgrades to the older buildings. There's also oil and natural gas to gather now, which can be turned into very profitable exports.

Residential buildings got a big boost with the new apartment building. It's better than tenements in every way and it's not that expensive. There's also tourism now, though all of it is extremely expensive. I built a small beach area and 4 cabins for now, but I'll need to expand that seriously at some point soon. I also have a nuclear power plant, which is very powerful, but requires uranium to function, which is pretty rare.

I've built up decent relations with the USA, shunning the USSR, at least for now. I've built a lot more plantations and ranches too, to alleviate some of my food problems. Finally, the biggest addition to my city is the car factory. It takes a lot of effort to get it running, since it requires bauxite and steel. Bauxite isn't too bad, but to produce steel, I need coal and iron. It took me over 6 months of game time to actually start producing my first car after building the factory. I had to ensure good production from the mines and the steel mill, plus, I had to hire more teamsters to carry all this stock.

I'm in a pretty good place right now. People are happy, my relations are good, I've got lots of power, not too much pollution and my healthcare rating has dramatically increased since adding hospitals. I'm going to keep building stuff for a while and maybe expand my tourism services.