April 4, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: April 3rd
Platform: PS4

I took down my first Stormbird!

I actually had two different quests that asked that I kill one. There was the Hunter's Lodge mission, and the man who drinks machine blood. I went to the spot where I first entered Carja lands, since it seemed like it was relatively safe from other machines. After studying the beast a little bit and looking up it's weaknesses in the logbook, I settled on the Sharpshooter Bow, the Ropecaster and the Explosive Sling. I also used the armor that protects against shock since the logbook said the beast uses shock attacks.

The battle began with a volley of three tear arrows to shake off some of it's components, then shot it a bit with arrows. I dodged it's big lightning bolt attacks mostly, but when I did get hit, it barely scratched me thanks to my armor. At one point, the Stormbird landed, so I took the opportunity to tie it down with the Ropecaster. While it was tied down, I stuck it with about 10 of my most powerful bombs. This was enough to severely weaken it and knock it down and I was able to kill it shortly after. Fighting a Stormbird was a really cool experience. They are scary, intimidating and it all looks so fucking cool! I wanna kill more!
The mighty Stormbird's dive bomb attack is terrifying!
Back in Meridian, I headed to the Hunter's Lodge, only to find out that both Talanah and Ahsis were gone. Apparently, Ahsis, the Sunhawk, spotted Redmaw somewhere in the south. Redmaw is a legendary Thunderjaw that has long been a legendary trophy for the Hunter's Lodge. When I reached the place, I found Talanah being ambushed by some outcasts, which were sent by Ahsis. It seems he wants the glory of the hunt all to himself and will do anything to get his way...

I killed the outcasts and saved Talanah, then tracked Ahsis with my Focus. We reached a big clearing where he was already fighting Redmaw! Moments later, he was smacked unconscious by the robot's large tail. Aloy didn't lose a moment and jumped in to fight the beast. This guy is tricky because he only has one disc launcher, so I took that off and shot him with it, but it wasn't enough to kill him. He still had about half his health still.

Thankfully, I had carefully planned my attack and had set up and elaborate nest of traps and tripwire. As I took potshots at Redmaw, I led him towards my traps. I also froze the big guy so that I could deal more damage to him. It wasn't too long before I defeated him. Ahsis died of his wounds, still as arrogant as ever in his dying moments. Talanah was made Sunhawk and promises to make the lodge more inclusive and friendly.

I think I will move the story along next time I play. I am supposed to enter a special facility to learn more about the events that led to the world's demise.