April 5, 2017

Tropico 5

Date played: April 4th
Platform: PS4

I decided to try this game again, but this time, in sandbox mode. I used all the default settings, picked a nice looking island and started in the Colonial era. Things went well at first. I built a few farms and plantations, set up some nice roads and started working towards independence from the Crown. By the time I was able declare independence, I felt like I was in a good spot. I had plenty of research done, lots of citizens, an approval rating in the 60-70% range and a good cash flow.
El Presidente is dead, long live El Presidente!
Then I moved to the World War Era and everything fell apart. I was hit by a good number of disasters, like earthquakes and tsunamis. I wasn't able to get any educated workers to man my clinics. My explorers took the wrong path more than once, costing me a good chunk of cash. No one wanted to work in the military. Everything was going badly.

I still did some cool stuff, like build a high school and college. I set up more docks, teamsters and construction offices to speed things up. I established a few trade routes. I started building positive relations with the Allies, ignoring the Axis. I even had a pretty successful creamery that exported lots of cheese and such.

The final nail in my empire's coffin was the rebels. Somehow, my citizens got so angry at my methods that they started uprisings and revolts! At first, it was pretty small, and I was able to contain it with my few armed guards, but soon enough ,the riots were too large and with my shitty military, I had nothing to defend myself with. The rebels destroyed the palace with molotov cocktails and I lost the match.

I've learned a lot about the game's systems now though, and while it's a little intimidating, I want to try again. I might set the disasters to a occur less frequently though, that really killed my momentum.