April 3, 2017

Earthbound

Date played: April 2nd
Platform: Wii U

Man, this game reminded me of how brutal older games are sometimes... I was a little stuck last time, but I figured out that I could attend the Runaway Five concert in Fourside by presenting the ticket to the usher. These guys are good at making music, but from their own admission, they suck at women and money. They have now signed a ludicrously bad contract with the leader of Fourside and need my help to get out of it. After speaking to the manager, she laughed me off saying they still owe a million dollars, and unless I have a ton of gold, I can't help them. I watched the Runaway Five in concert, which was funny and a lot longer than I expected. So, for this gold, I figured I might as well try the gold mine in the desert, maybe I'll be able to do something about the group's problems.
The Runaway Five give a great show!
The Gold Mine has to be one of the hardest things in this game, and it was easily the hardest dungeon yet and that's mainly because it's just so fucking long... The monsters are dangerous and they hit pretty hard, but they aren't too bad when using Paula's magic spells. I had to find 5 mole bosses inside the mine. These guys are rough and hit real fucking hard, but one hit of Paula's strongest freeze spell kills them. The real problem is PP management. This dungeon is so long that I run out of psychic points near the end and become almost useless...

After the fourth mole, I felt like I had to leave and recover some HP and PP, but the maze is so large that I would have died fighting the monsters leading to the exit. There's an exit mouse in there, which is supposed to get me out of there for free, but I couldn't get it to work, and I have no idea why. So I decided to attack the last mole, even if I was in real trouble already. It didn't work out well at all. My party died and I found myself back in Fourside with almost no items left and a couple of dead party members. I stopped playing, but I just hope the first 4 moles are already dead, even if I wiped out...