April 12, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: April 11th
Platform: PS4

I didn't get to play for very long, I was too busy trying out Lucio in Overwatch, but I still managed to get a bit of stuff done in Horizon. I started with the last corrupted zone in the game. There were 2 Tramplers and 3 Longlegs, so not an easy fight. I took position on high ground nearby, in a spot I knew they creatures couldn't reach me. I took some components off the Tramplers from range, and dealt some solid damage with my sharpshooter arrows, but they moved out of sight shortly after. I jumped down and completed the mission with explosives.

I then spent a good amount of time just activating campfires in the southern areas, fighting a few Snapmaws and Stalkers. I was heading south-west to reach a town that had a side mission marker on it. It turned out to be some sort of prison for dangerous people, a place named Sunstone Rock. Unfortunately, three of the prisoners escaped, and the wardens asked me to find them and kill them. They've had enough mercy... The fugitives are scattered throughout the region, so I set out to find them right away.
The prison of Sunstone Rock
The first was really stupid easy... The woman has a painted face and has taken refuge in a bandit camp. Unfortunately for her, I already killed everyone that was there, so she was alone in the big camp. It took a single arrow to the head and she was dead.

The second one was more interesting. The man is a master trap artist, crafting bombs and other deadly booby-traps as a hobby. He's also pretty crazy and dangerous. I had to navigate through a gauntlet of his traps in the narrow confines of a ravine's walls. The place was littered with explosive proximity bombs, which I carefully destroyed from a distance with my Hunter's bow. In the end, the crazy fucker dropped accidentally dropped a bomb at his feet and died from the blast as Aloy narrowly avoided the explosion.

There's still a third escapee for me to find and kill out there, but that'll have to wait for next time.