April 30, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: April 29th
Platform: PS4

The Nora lands have been completely invaded by the Eclipse. Deathbringers roam the smoking ruins of Mother's Cradle and Corruptors are a common sight. Aloy is understandably shocked and saddened... Still, I couldn't be deterred from my quest to find all the grazing dummies for the trophy, so I explored my homeland in a new light, fighting machines and Eclipse soldiers along the way. I got my damn trophy.

The main quest led me to Mother's Heart, which was under siege by a Corrupted Thunderjaw. This might be the strongest machine I've fought in the whole game, but since I had the help of the cornered Nora and the beast was alone, save a few weak archers. I used a machine gun that was left by the Nora to start the battle, then ripped off the Thunderjaw's Disc Launchers and used up all their ammo. The big motherfucker still wasn't down, but I destroyed it shortly after.
This corrupted Thunderjaw was no joke
The siege lifted, I entered the Heart of the Mountain to speak with the Mothers and to learn more about Aloy's origins. There was a lot of conversation between the women, but Aloy stayed kind of distant. I entered the mountain and spent the next 30 minutes reading data log entries, watching holographic recordings and learning about the past. Spoilers ahead...

So basically, Hades took over the whole Zero Dawn system. As a protective measure, Gaia will destroy Hades, but will have to destroy itself in the process. Aloy was created to reproduce Elizabet's genetic makeup, which will allow her to shut down Hades somehow. I didn't quite understand it all, but clearly, Aloy is a person of great importance, but she is more hurt than anything that she's a tool rather than the child of loving parents.

After all this, the Nora revered Aloy as a messenger of the Goddess, but that pissed off the game's heroine instantly. She gets angry with them and gives them a big speech about how the world is bigger than their little tribe, and that their old ways need to change. The Nora responded well to this, particularly the younger ones. They vow to help in Aloy's quest to save the world.

I must now go to a remote northern area to activate some systems, though I kind of missed some of the details. Aloy and Sylens will team up to explore the secrets of the Old World.