April 2, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: April 1st
Platform: PS4

In the depths of the southern jungles, I confronted the elements, bandits and robots to complete some side quests. It began with a fight against a trio of Stalkers to gather their blood. My overpowered shock arrows make very short work of these guys, but I still have to be careful. I then cleared a corrupted zone of Stalkers and Glinthawks, which was actually pretty easy. Another side quest, for an ancient relic, turned out to be nothing more than a dirty ambush by some bandits... They were after my spear! I killed all the men quickly and they won't be a problem anymore.

The final bandit camp was nearby, so of course, I cleared it out. There's something special about fighting a dozen people with a bow and arrow in the rain, tribal music playing, bodies flying. It's great.... I returned control of the village to the people and returned the Stalker blood to the crazy guy. He now wants Thunderjaw blood, so I headed east to find one.

Well, not only did I find one, I found two! Since I'm now able to override these massive beasts, I turned one of them to my side and let them fight it out until one of them died. I thought I was well prepared to take on the remaining monster, but the disc launcher I had picked up was nearly out of ammo, so I had to scramble against an angry Thunderjaw. Roping it down helped me stabilize things and I took it out shortly after that.
That second Thunderjaw...
I decided to seek out the final Cauldron, which lies in the southern parts of the map. This one was way different than other Cauldrons though, as it had been opened by some humans years ago. It's since been kind of... colonized by some bad guys. It was actually a really cool look, and fighting humans inside these old buildings now filled with vegetation was very satisfying.

At the end of it, there was a big fucking fight, the kind of fight that leaves you sweating. I had a ton of tripwire laid out already, since it was an obvious spot for a big battle, and picked up a very powerful minigun from one of the bad guys. I mowed everything down with the big weapon and was able to learn how to override some new machines! Coming out of the Cauldron I had to fight even more guys, but this time there were Stalkers in the mix. At the exit, there was another giant battle, against some Glinthawks, Ravagers and Billowbacks, which fell to another fun use of the minigun.

I feel like I am coming close to the end of the game now. There's still some stuff to do for sure, but I'm at maximum level, I have almost all the skills, I have all the Ancient Vessels, I destroyed all bandit camps, I have no use for money and my equipment is pretty well upgraded. There's still a good amount of story left for sure though.