November 23, 2011

Super Mario 3D Land

Date played: November 22nd
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 30 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

I picked up Super Mario 3D Land today and while I have a bunch of new console games to play, this seemed like a game I simply could not pass up.  I didn't play for very long, only getting through about four levels but what I played was good.

Do I see a Bullet Bill with a Tanooki tail back there?
I should mention first that the 3D effect actually works really well for once.  This is clearly a showcase game, one that shows why 3D is a good feature and one that shows that the 3DS is just getting warmed up.  The levels are not 2D but they aren't really wide open either.  It works well and it seems like a natural evolution of the recent Mario games, mixing the mechanics of the Galaxy games and the structure of New Super Mario Bros.

The Tanooki suit is great too.  It's a potent fighting tool and a helpful platforming aid.  I think I'll enjoy this game.