November 15, 2011

Half-Life 2 Episode 2

Date played: November 14th
Platform: PC
Time played: 150 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

I bought HL2 Episode 2 a while back during a Steam sale but never got to playing it.  I loved Half-Life 2 and enjoyed Episode 1 so it makes sense that I would also enjoy Episode 2.  It starts off a bit slow, with Freeman and Alyx getting out of a wrecked train.  Basically, the plot is about bringing data from the Citadel to Alyx's dad and colleagues.
The Combine marches.

Up to now, most of the game has taken place in mines and caves.  While this makes for some fairly boring backgrounds, the actual playing part has been great.  Using things like the Gravity gun, two pistols, an smg and the wonderful shotgun, I tore through legions of ant-lions and other weird creatures.

The best part of the game so far was a standoff in an area with four entrances and two turrets.  Ant-lions came from every direction and I had to hold them off using turrets, AI companions and guns.  Lots and lots of guns.  I then fetched some sort of energy source to heal Alyx after she had been wounded by a combine hunter.  This involved running from a giant glowing creature, physics puzzles and again, lots of shooting.

I eventually made it out of the caves and we are heading towards a car so that we can cover more ground. I also saw my first glimpse of the Combine army, marching in the distance, looking ominous.  I can't wait to see where this game goes.