April 1, 2014

Hearthstone

Date played: March 31st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, I lost more than usual, but I was playing the priest. I like him, but I don't think I've really built a deck to really maximize his abilities. When I won, it was generally through attrition and card advantage. One of the priest's best cards is a simple minion that draws a card every time a minion is healed, on either side of the battlefield. This can turn the tides of the game quickly if used properly. I also used Enrage minions so that they could be hurt, hit hard, then be healed. One of my favorite cards is Holy Nova, which hurts every enemy for 2 damage and heals every friendly for 2 damage. It has a high cost, but can be incredibly effective. Mind Blast is also very powerful. It deals 5 damage to the enemy hero for only 2 mana. I'll usually hold these cards until I can use them in a death blow to the enemy. It works very well.
Opening packs is really cool
After I unlocked all the priest cards, I tried out the Shaman. While I didn't really get a chance to play him much, he's pretty versatile. One of the unique parts of this class, aside from summoning totems, are the low cost cards that have overload. Overload specifies an amount of mana that will not be available during your next turn, allowing for powerful, low cost cards, at the expense of power on the next turn. I'll have to retool his deck though, I think spell damage would work pretty well here.