April 25, 2014

Metroid Fusion

Date played: April 24th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I fought Nightmare... The half mechanical, half organic supersized creature was the toughest boss fight so far for me. It required precise space jumping, fast reflexes and lots of acrobatics. I actually died about 5 times before I made it through without dying... I scored the gravity suit from the battle, which lets Samus move freely in water.
Samus, surrounded by X
I made my way through secret tunnels to the water sector (AQA) where I used my new suit to open up the last of the big locks in the game and found a new data room where I was rewarded with a missile upgrade. The diffusion missiles can be charged up to release a large freezing cloud that has a wide radius. It useful in rooms with many enemies. I was then notified that the robot from one of the previous boss battles was back in action, now infected with X.

This battle was relatively easy, though I couldn't figure it out on the first attempt. Once I understood it's pattern, it was a breeze. The battle rewarded me with the wave beam, a super powerful version of the beam weapon that shoots through walls and hits hard. I needed it, because the next battle, after lots of exploration and secret passages, was with Neo Ridley.

The bounty hunter's arch nemesis was a fun battle. The Ridley sprite was amazing, the music was incredible and the beast's death cry was incredibly satisfying! All I had to do was hit it with the charged beam a bunch of times while avoiding it's weird attack pattern. I got hit a lot, but survived and was rewarded with the screw attack, the signature spin jump that renders Samus into a spinning death machine.

I continued exploring the area, and discovered something incredible. The Federation has been breeding metroids on the space station. SA-X made an appearance to destroy the breeding tanks, as the X are the mortal enemy of the metroids. I ran away as that portion of the station crumbled, when I discovered that there are multiple SA-X on board, at least 10, according to the ship computer and that the Federation is sending scientists to capture the X and use it as a weapon! Samus being a smart lady and all, figures out, with the help of the computer, that the only possible way to stop this is to make the station self destruct and take out the nearby planet with it. I'm pretty sure this is the end of the game, but I still have to make my way to the station's command post.