April 2, 2014

Mercenary Kings

Date played: April 1st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I fell in love. I fell in love head over heels for Mercenary Kings.

The guys who made it previously made the Scott Pilgrim game, which I enjoyed, and the animator is Paul Robertson, who is an animation wizard. Needless to say, the graphics have real punch and incredible animation. The music is also fucking excellent.

The game plays like a weird mix of Metal Slug, Borderlands and Monster Hunter. The combat and navigation is very much like Metal Slug, the loot is a lot like Borderlands and the mission structure is a lot like Monster Hunter. It works amazingly well.

Die mechanical slug of death!
I only had time to play a small amount, but I completed three missions. I reached the camp, I rescued a lady and I hunted 8 snipers in a level. There's a complex weapon crafting mechanic based on gathering materials through loot drops. The levels are sometimes repeated, but with different objectives. It's also very bloody and VERY graphic. Either way, I love this game and am sad that I won't get to play it for a while since I'm going on a long trip without my PS4.