April 26, 2014

Metroid Fusion

Date played: April 25th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Metroid Fusion!

I really was at the end of the game, though I had to fight SA-X in a final showdown. I died a few times while figuring out it's pattern, but the third time, I got through without taking much damage at all. The trick was simply to charge to wave beam, hit SA-X, then jump over her and hit her again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, she mutated into an awful monster that jumped around the area, but it was easy to avoid it's attacks and take it down. Finally, I beat it's X virus form and reached the control room. I set the station on a course to crash into the nearby planet and started running towards my ship.

Omega metroid
It all went well, until I reached the very end. My ship was gone and in it's place was a fucked up biped metroid with huge claws. I got hit, lost all my energy, only to fuse with another SA-X that came to fight it. I took out the Omega metroid and found my ship in nearby space. It turns out that the computer managed to communicate with some creatures I had saved earlier, which activated my ship. I got out in time to watch the fireworks...

I was a bit shocked to find out I had collected only 54% of items in almost 6 hours of play time. I really thought I had found a lot more than that, but I guess I wasn't very thorough. Regardless, Fusion was almost as good as Super Metroid and I'm surprised it doesn't get more praise. I kind of want to play Other M now... or maybe Zero Mission. The only one that I'm not really interested in is Metroid 2, because, well, it's on the original Game Boy and frankly, that thing doesn't hold up in most cases.