April 23, 2014

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Date played: April 20th, 21st and 22nd
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I made some real progress, finally clearing the mission that gave me trouble the last time. I did so by building a bit of EXP in the random battles and made my team a bit more balanced. I also bought some new equipment, which helps a lot. I then made my way through a few more story missions. The story is getting really interesting, with different factions at war with each other. Of course, as with any war, there's a lot of misunderstanding, resentment, discrimination and ignorance. The characters are well developed and interesting.

Ramza and Delita have a heartfelt conversation
The best part of this game, as with almost any tactics game, is building my team and characters. Right now, I have a solid team I think. I now have one knight, one thief, one white mage and one black mage. The knight is there for the front lines, with strong physical attacks and high defenses, she can take a lot of hits. She also started learning some really good skills in rend speed and rend power, which makes enemies a lot weaker.

My main character is a thief now and while it's weak, I kind of want to get some of the stealing skills so that I can use them as a secondary class later. He had a short stint as an archer, but I didn't really it. It seemed too weak overall. The orator is one of the coolest jobs so far, but it seems to have a low success rate. It's basically a smooth talker class, buffing friends and de-buffing enemies without mana cost. I switched that guy back to white mage after a bit. My black mage has some time magic skills, useful for haste and slow. I have a monk too, but so far, I found her quite useless. I must be using her wrong...