April 13, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Date played: April 11th and 12th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

Wow, A Link Between Worlds is really good...

I completed the Swamp Palace by beating the boss, a dangerous electrified giant jelly fish. He wasn't hard to beat at all, I simply spammed the hook shot and when it wasn't electrified, the sword. After completing the dungeon, I explored a bit more and found some interesting stuff. The coolest was the discovery of an animal in a cave that lost it's children.

The squid-like creature requests Link's assistance in finding all of her missing children... all 100 of them! They are scattered throughout both Hirule and Lorule and hidden in many ingenious areas. Some of them are sticking to walls, some hide in trees, under rocks, in bushes, underwater and many other tricky spots. They are hard to find because in many cases, they are not visible. They emit a faint sound though, so I plugged in my trusty Jawbone Big Jambox and scoured the world to find them. As it stands, I have found 75 of the little buggers, but still have 25 to go. I am missing the item that allows Link to lift large rocks, so I won't really search for them again until I get that. The rewards for finding them are really good too. Every group of 10 I find grants me a weapon upgrade. I've upgraded all but the bomb and bow so far. The fire rod has become one of my main weapons as it hits very hard and has good range now. I also like the fast hookshot, super powerful hammer and quick boomerang.

The Maiamai babies are tons of fun to hunt
During my search for the missing children, I stumbled upon the Treacherous Tower, a sort of battle arena challenge. I beat the beginner and intermediate levels and was rewarded with a piece of heart. The expert level has 50 sections, so I figured I might want to wait so that I would be better equipped.

I also completed two more dungeons, Turtle Rock and Ice Ruins. Turtle Rock is a lava filled dungeon where I had to use the ice rod to freeze things to get around. It was tons of fun to go through and had some clever puzzles involving teleportation pads and lava pillars. Along the way, I found a new shield that can block magic attacks. The boss is a giant turtle that lives in the lava. I had to use the ice rod to flush him out, then attacked fought it with the sword. He was really cool looking too...

Ice Ruins were the opposite of Turtle Rock of course, as it's filled with ice. Aside from the icy floors and enemies, it also had an interesting layout with a multi-floor elevator and dozens of bottomless pits to fall into. It also had many narrow pathways and tricky puzzles to solve to progress. I found an upgrade to my ability bar, which allows further travel by merging into walls and more item usage. The boss was a weird bouncing creature protected by a sheet of ice that shot ice beams and such, The fire rod was invaluable in this dungeon and the boss battle.