April 20, 2014

Metroid Fusion

Date played: April 19th and 20th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I started playing Metroid Fusion, one of the free 3DS Ambassador games. After recently playing Super Metroid, I was pumped for another 2D Metroid game and Fusion does not disappoint. The story is pretty cool, as Samus was infected with a virus named X. She was cured by being injected with metroid cells, which fused her power suit to her body. Samus is tasked with a mission inside a weird space station harboring many types of small ecosystems. She has a commanding officer this time, similar to Metroid Other M, but it's a computer. It assigns the missions to Samus and helps restore her lost abilities with download stations.
The Fusion suit is pretty cool
I made my way through most of the game over the weekend and feel like I'm in the last 25% of the game. It really plays a lot like Super Metroid, but it's easier to get around and has a more defined structure. Many areas are closed off by the computer, limiting full exploration. It works well. I explored the different ecosystems; an arctic sector, a tropical sector, a simulated ship interior sector, a water sector, an ice sector and a fire sector.

Of course, I recovered many abilities throughout. The morph ball, ball jump, bomb and power bomb combine for a deadly ball form. The charge, wide and plasma beams made Samus's basic weapon a formidable force. Missiles, super missiles, freeze missiles and many missile expansions provide much needed firepower for bosses. Finally, the varia suit, hyperspeed, hi-jump and space jump make the bounty hunter's navigation easier.

I fought many bosses too, most of them really cool, fun and challenging. The first was Arachnus, a giant armored insect. Zazabi is a weird looking motherfucker that I defeated with bombs. Serris, a sort of worm/dragon was an amazing fast paced battle. I fought a firebomb spitting four legged robot. Then there was a weird plant statue thing surrounded by venomous plants. Finally, I fought a deadly and fucking annoying spider that shoots fire from it's ass. There were also a variety of X virus to fight, most of them taking the form of a floating ball of goo.

That's not the worst part though. The worst part is that throughout the game, there is a clone of Samus hunting her down, and she is fully equipped, which means she is impossible to beat right now. SA-X, as she is called, must be avoided, which means I've had to run from her a few times. I have a feeling I'm about to fight her directly soon...