April 13, 2014

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Black Mages are powerful, but easy to take down
Date played: April 11th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 7/10

I leveled up my team via some of the semi-random battles that are available. I made most of them go back to squire so that they could learn the crucial ability that boosts the number of job points earned. These points are used to buy job specific abilities, and the ability seems to double the gain. Most of my units are about level 3 or 4 now and have the best available equipment, but it wasn't enough for me to take on the next story mission without losing a unit. I tried it twice, the first time losing my black mage, the second losing a squire.

Since the game has permanent death, I did not save and will try again with a different strategy. The problem is that the enemy team has a few archers some black mages, making for some deadly long range damage. Once I get in close, I can take them out easily, but they have managed to kill some of my units every time. I will try things a bit differently next time, perhaps with a first turn dedicated to shell or protect. It also doesn't help that the two AI controlled units are fucking idiots who throw stones when they should be attacking head on or healing.